[Tfug] Memtest question

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:20:13 MST 2009

>> If bad caps are found, unless you are terribly fond of the
>> machine, off to WT with it (recapping is just too much work
>> and far too easy to lift foils).
>
> I've replaced the through-hole caps on two flaky motherboards and
> found the job quick and easy.  Even if the recap failed, the effort
> and cost invested was so small (45 minutes / $10) I would shrug it off
> without too much trouble.
>
> If someone was considering replacing the caps on a their motherboard,
> I wouldn't discourage them.

I find that recapping depends greatly on the quantity of bad caps, the
board layout, and how good of soldering gear you have.

I don't mind redoing a board that has 4-5 caps on a wide trace power
handling section with loose layout, but if you get close to tight
logic traces or the components are packed really tight,  the
likelihood of success goes down dramatically, in my experience.

- Zack