[Tfug] USB Floppy

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 18:53:47 MST 2009

Hi,

Once in a great while, I have need of a 5" floppy drive.
I used to keep a machine with 3 & 5" drives in it just
for that purpose.  But, nowadays, the exposed drive bay is
worth more to me for other uses than a seldom used 5"
floppy drive!

But, it occurs to me that I *should* (?) be able to
bastardize a 3" USB floppy to hack together a 5"
floppy.  I.e., gut an external CDROM case; install
the 5" floppy with the smarts from the 3" USB
floppy and I *should* be able to read and write
5" media (?).

Of course, this depends on how "universal" the "floppy
USB controller" guts are...

Comments?  Does this have a reasonable chance of working
(I'd hate to scrap an otherwise decent 3" USB floppy
just to discover it *won't* work...)