[Tfug] Putting GRUB on non-first drive

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Dec 3 22:07:22 MST 2009

Greetings,

I'm in the process of replacing some old drives (one of which is damaged, too)
in a computer at work with two new drives in a RAID-1 array.

The new drive is all set up.  Two RAID devices on the bottom, one for /boot
and one for the LVM.  And the LVM volume groups are set up and the data has
been copied over to the new disk.

The only remaining thing to do is to get GRUB (2.0, not the legacy version) on
the new drive, but I'm having plenty of issues with that.  At first it was
just complaining about mapping one of the MD devices, but now it also
complains about lack of support for UUIDs.

root at bach:~# grub-install --root-directory=/newroot --modules="raid.mod" /dev/sdd
grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md127'
grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md127'
grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md127'
You attempted a cross-disk install, but the filesystem containing /newroot/boot/grub does not support UUIDs.

I don't know why it can resolve that md127 points to sdd1.  And the target
filesystem is XFS which does support UUIDs.  I've tried a number of variations
on this command, differnt ways of adding modules (the man page give no info on
the syntax), differnt modules, and different targets (/dev/sdd,
/dev/md/bach:boot, /dev/md127).  However, in each case the resulting error
message was the same, except for when I used /dev/md127 as the target.  In
that case, it didn't complain about UUIDs for some odd reason.

What can I do about this?  My next idea to try is to get a Debian install CD
or maybe the GRUB rescue CD.  I'll unplug all but the new drive, boot from the
CD, and try installing GRUB that way.  Maybe that will work okay?

Still, I should be able to do this right now, with all the disks plugged in,
by just telling grub-install which device to use.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org