[Tfug] iPods

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Aug 31 21:02:56 MST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 08:42:51 pm John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:17:04AM -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> >
> >My primary phone now is using my skypeout, so having a device that I could
> >use to make calls and receive calls without using my laptop would be really
> >nice. I'm considering a skype wifi phone... But we'll see. I cannot justify
> >spending any money on an iPhone or Touch if I'll have to use windows. I do
> >not have windows, nor any real access to a windows machine that I could do
> >anything with it if I had to. If I cannot plug the device in and copy my ogg
> >files to it, I really don't want it!
> >
> >I'm mentioning this because I'm hoping someone else has lots of ogg files and
> >uses some media player device to listen to their ogg files without converting
> >them to something else.
> >Not so much on this list, but what I have found on most other "linux" user
> >lists, most of the users are windows people with a partition that is
> >occasionally booted with linux... So finding another linux user with input,
> >and especially about ogg files, I have not found yet!
> >
> >nathan
>
> Wait for me!
>
> I have input for you.  Good input... *useful* input.
>
> I have a random smattering of MP3s, but nearly all of my music is in Ogg
> format from my CDs that I have ripped.
>
> For a number of years now I have been very happy with the products that iRiver
> makes.  Function and stylish, plus they all support Ogg.  Currently, I am
> using an iRiver S10 device and it's great.  A few years old now, its biggest
> drawback is its modest 2GB capacity.
>
> *But*... in return for putting up with that, you get the so-called S10
> "postage stamp" device.  Called that because its size is roughly that of a
> large stamp.  It only weighs a couple of ounces, has a organic LED (OLED)
> display (bright and low power), has great battery life, and it has an FM radio
> and mic (both of which it can record from, if you like).
>
> I replaced the lanyard on mine with a short string with a clasp.  I hook it to
> one of the belt loops on my pants and it's always there when I need it.
>
> It functions just like a normal USB mass storage device, so no problems there,
> and it scans the filesystem itself so there are no playlist files (although I
> think you can create them if you want).  I almost always have mine set to
> random playback, but it understands the concept of an album (in this case,
> just a directory) and can play through them, too.
>
> At this point, one of the only annoying parts is rather similar to iThings in
> that you need a Windows program to update the firmware.  Used to be that you
> could do it by simply placing the file in the root directory and use the menu,
> but now they make the files hard to find so you have to use their Windows
> music manager app to update it.
>
> Okay, so it's a great device.  Unfortunately, I don't think iRiver makes them
> anymore.  I'm sure you can find on on the Net someplace, though.  Or get
> [...]

John, I have often wanted to hear someone's review of an iRiver device and I've never found one! I was looking at some of their devices on amazon last night and I think I have decided on the Sansa Clip, but a couple of those iRiver devices might fit the bill better! I'm glad to hear you like it. The only times I have read it mentioned somewhere was along side RockBox and how you have to install rockbox! I'm glad to see the original firmware will play ogg files.

nathan

--

Nathan England
nathan at paysonlinux.org