[Tfug] iPods

Don Freeman DFreeman at pagnet.org
Mon Aug 31 08:11:25 MST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: tfug-bounces at tfug.org [mailto:tfug-bounces at tfug.org] On Behalf Of
Bexley Hall
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:43 AM
To: Tucson Free Unix Group
Subject: [Tfug] iPods

Hi,

I've been using an iPod shuffle (?) for my daily walks.
It's nice and tiny.  No display to deal with (I'm *walking*, not "picking
out musical selections!).
Lightweight so I can just set it on my shoulder under my shirt (in case I
don't have a shirt pocket).

*And*, its easy to manage:  copy files onto it as a disk drive, etc.  I
think it holds about 5 or 10 albums (depending on bit rate) which is fine as
an album (start to finish) tends to take just about as much time as one of
my walks (30 - 40 minutes).
As such, I can listen to everything on the device in about a week (two walks
per day) without feeling like I am listening to the same music over and over
again...

I've now got an old iPod "mini" that I'm considering using (though it is
considerably larger and heavier so it might not fit the bill... I guess the
new nano's are probably a better choice).

But, I despise iTunes (== evil).  And, the mini is so much larger than the
shuffle (capacity wise) that I will need a more sophisticated way of
managing the music on it.

So, I was going to hack together a little application to reside *on* the
iPod that I can "run from DOS" to massage my music collection.  A
mini-iTunes, so to speak (though in a few dozen KB instead of a few dozen
MB!).

(whew)  With all that as background, does anyone know if the larger iPods
(larger than the shuffle, that is) can be made to look like a dumb disk
("mass storage device")?
Or, is this something that just works with the shuffle's?

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: