[Tfug] USB Hubs

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 05:19:12 MST 2009

Hi Calvin,

--- On Sun, 8/30/09, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > First dud I had was a Belkin -- I never expected anything
> > wonderful out of it so when it crapped out I just shrugged.
>
> My own experience is that Belkin makes very high quality
> cables - and everything else they make is crap (bad experiences with
> their KVMs, network hubs and UPSes).

I don't think Belkin *makes* anything of their own (think: Sears,
Costco, etc.).  Rather, they just rebrand other people's offerings.
I'm not even sure they have the technical expertice to be able
to *specify* a product (that some Chinese/Taiwanese firm could
later "make for them").  Lots of Belkin products are quite
obviously other folks' "insides" witha "Belkin skin" wrapped
around them (E.g., I've seen APC UPS's disguised as Belkin,
USB cards, etc.)

<shrug>  Nowadays it's hard to figure out who is really *making*
things vs. folks who are just re-marketing them.  :<