[Tfug] Netbooks and Linux - suggestions?

themonkeymoo at gmail.com themonkeymoo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 16:13:11 MST 2009

I currently run eeebuntu nbr 1.0 (dist-upgrade fails due to only 4G SSD and never quite got around to upgrading manually) on a eee 901a with a gma500. I have no video problems other than firefox being a little slow to render pages sometimes, and I have yet to rule out the dozen or so addons I have as the culprit(s). Flash works fine for both videos and casual games and I can watch movies from an external HDD or DVD just fine. For the record, I'm running the default drivers.

I do not use compiz on it but did have compiz-git running on eeebuntu full, before I switched to nbr (that was last fall, I was trying out the cube deformation plugin, which worked beautifully), and although some of the effects were a little choppy, it was quite stable.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Marco Savo wrote:

Hello,
I *wrongly* bought a dell mini 10, with GMA500, because at the end has a better battery, (smaller and 28w/hr) better screen and with a better lasting processor, but HAS GMA500. The problem is that the driver are proprietary, not even made from Intel, I got Ubuntu working on it, everything works fine now but I'm not able to watch videos on youtube (I don't know if you're able to do it on GMA950)

You can buy a Dell mini 10v for 239 dollars on dell outlet, 160 GB HD !GB Ram Atom N270 1.6 GHz:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

(order by price)

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bowie J. Poag<bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dell Inspiron Mini 10V. We love ours. $325 at Best Buy.

> It also happens to be 100% Hackintosh-compatible, so you can

> dual-and-then-some boot between Linux/Winblows/OS X. :)

> Looks good, too.

> Cheers,

> Bowie

At first I thought I was going to have to chew Bowie out, but no: the

10v has the Intel 945 video chipset which is Linux compatible and good

enough for a two-pane Compiz "cube" (really a flat plane you flip over

for two desktops).  The new Intel driver stack now fully sorted out in

Karmic will work with it.  Not Intel's fastest chip but it's probably

their most stable - moreso than the 965 for sure.  I ran a machine

with that chip for a while, worked damned good, Rocco has it now :).

The Mini-10 without the "v" is to be avoided at all costs, that's the

one with the GMA500 turd-disguised-as-a-video-chip thing.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org

Subscription Options:

'The Magic Is In the Movement'

Marco Savo