[Tfug] Netbooks and Linux - suggestions?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:32:18 MST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Bowie J. Poag<bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:

> Dell Inspiron Mini 10V. We love ours. $325 at Best Buy.
>
> It also happens to be 100% Hackintosh-compatible, so you can
> dual-and-then-some boot between Linux/Winblows/OS X. :)
>
> Looks good, too.
>
> Cheers,
> Bowie

At first I thought I was going to have to chew Bowie out, but no: the
10v has the Intel 945 video chipset which is Linux compatible and good
enough for a two-pane Compiz "cube" (really a flat plane you flip over
for two desktops).  The new Intel driver stack now fully sorted out in
Karmic will work with it.  Not Intel's fastest chip but it's probably
their most stable - moreso than the 965 for sure.  I ran a machine
with that chip for a while, worked damned good, Rocco has it now :).

The Mini-10 without the "v" is to be avoided at all costs, that's the
one with the GMA500 turd-disguised-as-a-video-chip thing.