[Tfug] Netbooks and Linux - suggestions?

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:17:13 MST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 07:00:15AM -0700, Zack Williams wrote:
>> So, back to the original topic... I'd greatly appreciate any netbook wisdom
>> that might be floating out their on the list.  Thanks!
>
>If size is of paramount importance and you don't mind a slow (a 1.6Ghz
>Atom is about the speed of a 1.1Ghz Pentium M circa 2002), limited
>expansion machine, buy a netbook.
>
>If you want something more than that, look into a larger notebook.
>You'll probably be happier in the long term spending slightly more,
>but that's OK if it lasts twice as long.

Just to clarify to you and Jim, yes, I am specifically looking for something
roughly the weight and size of a netbook.  I've already got a Dell Inspiron
E1405 notebook I purchased a few years ago and it is (and will continue for
some time to be) providing everything I need for "mobile desktop" needs.  But,
at 7+ pounds, it quickly becomes an unwelcome load to carry around all day in
my book bag.

The netbooks make a welcome trade of weight for speed... as long as you also
get good battery life out of the deal.  Some of these netbooks are slow, 3+
lbs. (usually 3.2 - 3.4), and only have two hours battery life.  That's
definitely a machine to stay away from.

But, something in the 2.5 lbs. area with 5+ hours of battery life, that's what
I'm looking for.

I actually have an OLPC XO netbook/laptop I purchased a couple of years ago
from another TFUGger.  Despite some of its unique features, it is even slower
than current netbooks and, more importantly, the development community (which
I had hoped to join) has completely fallen into disarray due to poor and
demoralizing choices by the higher ups.  The XO has excellent battery life,
very low weight, and an amazing day-view screen, but it's just too slow (for
me, anyway) and I find the keyboard almost impossible to type on (though that
seems to vary greatly from person to person).

>See also this article: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3612

Interesting article.  I had no idea regular notebooks had become so
inexpensive recently.  And I thought my $700 E1405 was a steal when I got
it...

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org