[Tfug] Netbooks and Linux - suggestions?

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 26 00:25:37 MST 2009

Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a netbook and would like to solicit some opinions on
which model to purchase and which ones work well with Linux.  Specifically,
I'll probably be installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix onto it... either that or
regular Debian like my other machines.

Fortunately, in some ways, the market has not differentiated all that much so
most netbooks seem to be surprisingly similar to one another.  One key
difference I have learned about, however, is the graphics chipset.  A few
models use Intel's new GMA 500 chipset which, as I understand it, was not
developed by Intel, but rather acquired by Intel.  The previous company was
FOSS-hostile and so X support for this chip is still far from useful.  At
least, that's my current understanding.  Is this still true?  Should I be
avoiding GMA 500 netbooks?  I don't mind using a binary blob for the video
driver, but I've read that the chip isn't even to *that* state of usefulness
yet.

So, other than that, I'm looking for a netbook with Bluetooth built-in, around
2.5 lbs. (+/- 0.5 lbs.), and with a regular HDD (most seem to come standard
with 160 GB).  I'm not against solid state drives, but I see the big reason to
have one as increased battery life, but from most of what I've read, there is
very little gain in battery life when using one.  Also, 4+ hours of battery
life would be nice.  That seems to require a 6-cell battery.

Thus far, I think I've narrowed it down to either an Acer Aspire One AOD250:

  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115573

or a Samsung NC10:

  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131015

They're both nearly identical in specifications.  Pricing and case styling are
a little different.  I've examined the Asipre models as well as I could at
Best Buy, but it is hard to get a good impression of weight when it's cabled
to the counter and often lacking a battery (and the mass that goes with it).

The one truly unique computer I've run across while learning about netbooks is
the Touch Book by Always Innovating:

  http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

It's a detachable netbook/tablet and gets amazing battery life (they claim
near 10 hours).  It has batteries in both modules, the keyboard module and the
display/computer module and they work in conjunction when the two pieces are
put together.  The display is also a touch screen and the Touch Book is
designed from the start to run their own Linux variant, though they say it
should handle most any distro.

There are three big caveats with this system.  First, there is very little
storage in the machine.  The drive, such as it is, is an included 8GB SD card
which you can replace with something larger.  You'd definitely want a class 6
or better card for this.

Second, the specs say it has 256MB of RAM plus 256MB of NAND memory.  That's
really not much and I'm not sure it can be upgraded.

Third, the way all these magic things happen, like super long battery life and
always-on support, is because it uses a Texas Instruments OMAP 3530 CPU.
That's an ARM chip if you were wondering.

Anyway, it's quite an intriguing machine.  I really like the features, though
I fear it may be just a little too slow for what I would normally want to do.
Their website could use some work... the main page says the first shipments
have gone out, but they're not very clear on how soon "soon" is when it comes
to orders placed today now that there's a backlog.

So, back to the original topic... I'd greatly appreciate any netbook wisdom
that might be floating out their on the list.  Thanks!

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org