[Tfug] Let's play "ID this code"! (serious issue actually)

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Aug 24 11:51:48 MST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009 11:01, Jim March wrote:
[snip]
> As to the code I showed you: that was just a tiny snippet of a bigger
> whole.  WAY bigger...literally thousands of lines of stuff.
> Unfortunately, the text editor had problems even copying stuff out
> because if any block of selected text had a "<null>" in it, the block
> wouldn't paste into anything else.  Sigh.

Well then.... if your just browsing the text fields to start, strip out the
special characters. It should result in a *much* smaller file to peruse.

string <file> |less

As others said, it appears to be a SQL backup off some sort of MS product. My
first thought was a SQL backup/dump of an Access database, or possibly dBase.
Didn;t look quite right for a full MS SQL2K, but I havent parsed the details
by hand before. The "backup" .bak is not a dump of SQL fields like you would
get from  mysqldump. It is a set of SQL create commands, schemas, indexes,
logs, and compressed data blobs (as opposed to SQL insert commands) to create
a new DB from scratch on a MS SQL server product.

Adrian