[Tfug] Let's play "ID this code"! (serious issue actually)

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Aug 24 08:23:16 MST 2009

Jim March wrote:
> Let's look at where I'm at with this data:
>
> <snip>
> 3) Peering into the raw data with a good text editor I've been able to
> confirm the existence of thousands of lines of MS-SQL source code such
> as the snippets I showed y'all.  While SQL isn't normally my thing,
> <snip>
If the "source code" is in the database it is probably in the form of
stored procedures. These would not transfer if you were to convert the
database format. Nor would they be part of a data dump to csv format. To
see them all, along with all of their attributes and permissions you
will have to bring the database up on a sql server system and use the MS
tools to view them. Just because you see code in a dump of the data does
not mean that the code is actually active or pertinent to your discovery
process. Like looking at a hard disk image, there will be all sorts of
remnants of files in various stages. A delete or update does not cleanup
behind itself. To see what id *really* there you have to see it through
the *filesystem/database* layer.