[Tfug] Let's play "ID this code"! (serious issue actually)

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Sun Aug 23 14:35:14 MST 2009

> OK, cool.  So...I'm trying to get MS SQL Server 2008 running right
> this second in my Windows XP virtual machine.  Running into
> problems...no biggie, just gotta RTFM on how it's security settings
> work.
>
> But are there any FOSS tools available that'll take apart these
> databases I have now?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
Best way to do that is, once you get the DB restored in to SQL Server,
is to migrate it to MySql. Then you will have tools galore. A quick
google "migrate Sql Server to MySql" should give a number of useful
sites. As long as you have it in Sql Server format you will be pretty
much stuck with Windows based tools. I have seen people get Linux to
talk to Sql Server but is more difficult that it looks; and it looks
pretty difficult.

That said, I may be jumping the gun. When you say "take apart these
databases" what does that mean? Before you go through the effort to
migrate the data, we should probably make sure that what you are looking
for is actually available.