[Tfug] Migrating users....

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:36:48 MST 2009

>> Depends greatly on your source/destination OS and the format of the
>> password files.  What are you going from/to?
>
> From an old redhat linux box with crypt()-ed passwords to a mysql-based auth
> system within PureFTP on BSD.
>
> Here's a hash:
>
> $1$14240667$QobeQjyHmRUzU4fHlo1Yw0
>
> $MD5$SALT$HASH
>
> According to pureftpd the password field can be:
>
> 'in plaintext, MD5, crypt()ed or MySQL's password()'
>
> So I don't see a problem but this sysadmin is saying I won't be able to use
> the /etc/shadow hashes on the new machine...

You're going to have to know exactly how the passwords are stored, and
exactly what PureFTP expects.  If you're lucky it'll be the same - you
can copy the crypt passwords into the MySQL database, point PureFTP at
it and you're done.

(I'd insert a comment here about the relative insecurity of crypt, but
as this is FTP which passes everything as plaintext, so I'm not going
to bother)

If you're not, you can either modify PureFTP to support that password
method, try to break all the passwords with a tool like John the
Ripper, or assign new passwords.

>> Is there a reason you're not using a centralized directory system (LDAP,
>> etc.)?
>
> Yes.

Hah!

- Zack