[Tfug] RH Linux virus software

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Wed Aug 12 06:58:33 MST 2009

A bit overdue, but this is pretty important, (and sad to read the
same old Linux/Mac smugness).

The advice that's been given so far applies to Windows users as well.
It's true: you don't need a virus checker if you keep your box up to
date.

But if you deal with files from other people, (like, for example, if
you're into this "Internet" fad), then you should scan any files you
might want others to use.

ClamAV, properly configured, will do this just fine. Add a front-end
like ClamTk, and you'll be good. Clam currently cannot "disinfect"
files, but it can quarantine them.  No need in a single-user
environment for on-access (via Clamuko) or periodic (via cron)
scanning, and you could restrict scanning to "inbox" and "outbox"
directories. It doesn't take a lot to install, and then you have
proof that there are no Linux viruses in the wild.

And guys, if you use Adobe plugins, make sure they're up to date,
won't you?

Social responsibility works both ways. One day it might be you on the
receiving end, and doing your bit doesn't cause any hardship. And
anyway you're *already* paying for the unlucky ones, you're just
paying in other ways. Reduced bandwidth, having to recover Aunt
Millie's files, tons of spam.

(Any resemblance to the healthcare debate is purely coincidental. Do
your bit or go live in a hole. Hippy.)

R.