[Tfug] An Ext4 question...

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sun Aug 9 22:18:00 MST 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009 18:41, Jim March wrote:
[snip]
> OK.  So if Maildir is working OK under Ext3/4, cool, what's the best
> mail client (GUI type) and what's the best conversion method?

I'm running on ext3 right now, haven;t had a chance to try ext4 on this
machine yet. Personally, I prefer Kmail as it seems rather simple and stable.
I think Ive had a funky corruption of the index file once in 5 years or 6
years Ive used Mdir, that hosed things. But I just deleted the index file,
restarted Kmail, and it completely rebuilt the index in a couple minutes. No
mail lost. Haven;t had a problem since.

I tried Evolution once, but couldn;t get my head around it. The presentation
seemed nice enough, but I could not get it to store mail locally in Mdir. It
would import Mdir, but it seemed like everything was either stored locally in
Mbox or remotely in IMAP/Exchange. That was a killer for me as I could hold
more than a couple thousand messages before it borked and became extremely
slow.

When I switched, I believe I just used Kmail to import the old Mbox mail.
Kmail will work with either, you can setup your local as Mdir. Then setup a
recieving account as Mbox and point it at the mail store. Copy/paste
everything over and your done. Alternatively, there are a bunch of different
Mbox parsing utilities that will spit out the individual files. You just pipe
the result into sendmail/etc. which re-delivers it back to the client.

Adrian