[Tfug] An Ext4 question...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 00:48:46 MST 2009

Folks,

Does anybody know what happens when you stash a huge number of tiny
files in Ext4?  Does it store them efficiently the way ReiserFS does?

I ask because I'm running into limitations on mailbox sized with
Thunderbird and MBox, and was considering jumping to something based
on MailDir, which as far as I can tell has bigger mailbox limits than
MBox.  But given MailDir's approach of one file per message, block
size issues will get really wild'n'wooly unless Ext4 handles that
better.

Thoughts?

Jim