[Tfug] OT: Battery Powered Transportation: Converting Thermal to Electrical Energy

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 22:57:21 MST 2009

Hi Charles,

> I think you're right about the 365; looks like I'll have to
> rework the article... but I won't be so freindly this time
> -no more "super-nuclear plants", and no more 10% !!!
> HOw's that???

*I* would argue the extreme case first:  i.e., how much
electricity you would need IN TODAY'S TERMS to replace what
we currently use.  *Then*, I would start hand-waving and
making "generous reductions" in the estimates (i.e.,
"let's assume HALF -- or whatever -- of the energy needs
are used by vehicles that can't be replaced with electric
alternatives (ocean liners, battle ships, etc.  :> ).  So,
we need to come up with 14.5 blahblahs instead of 29 blahblahs.
Now let's assume electrical drivetrains are X% more efficient
than they are today (note that your article doesn't address
the relative efficiencies of electric motors vs. internal
combustion engines... IIRC, the electric motor is one of
the most efficient "machines" man has created -- ?).  Etc."
And, finsih off by comparing your power plant projections
to the current total number of plants in operation in the
entire country TODAY.  Recalling that these existing plants will
still need to continue to exist to address other energy needs
so you are looking at N *new* plants just to handle the
vehicular load, etc.

As an afterthought, make sure you discount any electricity
already being used to address transportation needs from that
29 figure (I can't recall what the actual number from electric
was... can't imagine it is very much!)

> Looks like I was using a yearly BTU value and comparing it
> to daily nuclear power plant output ! Good call.
>
> I knew something was wrong but couldn't find it.
> THANKS!

As I say, I think the approach (electric vehicles) is still flawed
if the goal is to try to replace existing consumption.  Need
to change the equation so we are thinking more in terms of
more efficient *use* of transportation instead of just more
efficient *means* of transportation!

> Here's a link for US nuclear plants production: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/at_a_glance/reactors/diablo.html

BTW, don't forget to adjust the PDF (if that's what you
eventually end up "publishing/distributing") to include
appropriate authorship/copyright indications.

Good luck!

--don