[Tfug] OT:Battery Powered Transportation

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Thu Aug 6 23:00:34 MST 2009

Sorry Don, for some reason you were always Bexley to me.

Anyway, you say,

> So, instead of driving your land yacht to the grocery store
> half a mile away, you possibly walk (gasp!) instead.  Or,
> use the eq

According to the numbers, apparently people are incapable of fathoming the
enormity of the energy demand in the transportation sector. ie.
quadrillions, 10^15 BTU, etc.

Even if that yacht were reduced by a factor of 1000, essentially weighing
about 3 pounds (include some uncertainty factor less than 10 here), an
additional 5000 regular sized nuclear plants, or the equivalent capacity
in windmills, would have to be produced to power its transport across the
same mileage as the aggregate US population, ie. meeting the mobility
needs of 300million+ individuals, each weighing and average of 100lbs.,
say.

I don't buy the whole battery powered vehicle arguments, I suppose if you
want to make a small vehicle, make a small vehicle, but the energy is
going to come from somewhere, and it's going to be a similarly
incomprehensible amount.

I'm pro-hydrogen.  The shuttle doesn't propel itself into orbit using a
battery for a reason. I think the whole battery vehicle thing is
absolutely ridiculous and just a power grab by the electricity industry
which I would imagine is hundreds of thousands of times larger than the
hyrogen industry. Not that it's a conspiricy however, just wishful
thinking, IMHO.

I suppose car could run on anything if the roads were frictionless and
inside a vacuum tube, perhaps no actual work would be necessary
(integrating a round trip).  :)

Charles

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If