[Tfug] Portable USB hard drive

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 16:25:22 MST 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM, erich<erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> A WD "My Book" that is.
>
>              I want to store movies/videos on it. Unfortunately it's comes
> pre-formatted
> with  [Id =  c] W95 FAT32 (LBA) ,and that doesn't take file sizes > 4G. You
> call the store,
> (SWS), and they say "format it with [Id = 86] NTFS". But I wonder if it's
> better to  just
> go ahead and format it with plain old [Id = 83] Linux. Any thoughts?
>

> Erich

I always reformat new drives.  I'll usually split it up:

* Main chunk will be Ext3 (Ext4 soon if the support in Karmic looks OK).

* A smaller chunk in Fat32 just because it's a universal format usable
between Mac/Win/Linux.

* IF I need to store a huge pile of small files, ReiserFS starts to make sense.