[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 22:52:07 MST 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Matthew T.

> Jim, Bowie's right, Apple does not seem to have any subsystem for
> checking to see if the hardware you're running on is authentic other
> than some, again like Bowie said, trivial stuff in which one can work
> around.

Matthew, you're answering the wrong question.

Whether or not Apple has hardware-authenticity-check code in there NOW
isn't what matters.  OK?  The two questions that matter are:

* COULD they, with a simple kernel update disguised as a "security
update"?  Answer: hell yes.

* WOULD they do so?  Again: hell - yes.  See also how they're rigging
iTunes to detect non-Apple media players and lock them out.

That's the issue.