[Tfug] Slightly OT: Cheap on-line backup

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Sat Aug 1 08:13:56 MST 2009

On 31 Jul 2009 at 12:30, Matt Jacob  wrote:

> Cheap is subjective, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon S3
> and Jungle Disk.

+1 -- it's what I use.  I think I'm paying Amazon $10/month or so ...

I'd like to roll a pair of BackupPCs and set them up to rsync from my office to
my home so I have duplicated backups with local (for fast restores of deleted
files) and remote (disaster to the office) recovery, just haven't made the
time.

OTOH it would be a useful project I think to replicate the utility of Windows
Home Server + free remote backup -- most principals in small businesses have
high-speed Internet access at home, so they have access to a high-speed remote
site.  This would give them total control of their data, as opposed to having
to rely (a) on your remote-backup company's security and (b) on your remote-
backup company staying in business.  If you think big companies don't drop
services that appear stable, think AOL and XDrive.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona