[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 00:05:11 MST 2009

Jim March wrote:
> Glad you're happy with OSX.  Unfortunately it's a dead-end as far as
> support on non-Apple hardware goes: there is NO way you can install
> and support Hackintoshes for non-geek clients.

False.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html

...My wife is about as non-geek a client as you can get, and she loves
her Hackintosh. :)

> But that aside: give us two or three more years, and we're going to
> start to cripple Apple sales...and we'll do especially well in
> recessions and/or depressions because Linux is BY FAR the cheapest
> setup to operate.

1998 called. They want to know what the Linux desktop marketshare is.

> Christ, I just jet up a *complete* end-user setup just last night, for
> $32 in hardware costs plus an old hard drive worth less than $10, a
> nice old 17" tube display that ain't worth a dime anymore and it's
> running Youtube/Hulu class video websites, it can play DVD movies,
> burn CDs, etc.  Pentium4/512ram/60gigHD/NVidiaGEForce4 running
> Xubuntu.
>
> Try THAT with a Hackintosh.

Why would I want to, when I can go out and just buy a brand new Dell
netbook for $200 I can convert to a Hackintosh that will last several
years, have modern specs, be covered under a hardware warranty, and
won't look like an absolutely ancient ghetto PC sitting on a desk?