[Tfug] Lenovo Laptops

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 29 18:55:38 MST 2009

> Haven't been following this thread, but I've owned many T-series Thinkpads
> and the models that end in 'p' (T41p, T61p, etc) are the ones that are going
> to give you higher LCD screen resolution.

Although all the 'p' models have the higher end graphics cards and
screens, that is not the defining difference. I have a t60 (note the
conspicuous lack of a p) and it has the 1400x1050 screen. When I was
shopping, I was keenly aware that some were 1024x768 and had to pay
close attention to that when I ordered.

On a related note, I was recently looking at the price list for a new
thinkpad and I was disappointed to see only widescreen models. That
frustrates me because the 4:3 is more pixels (and area) for the same
diagonal. I feel like the move to widescreen was largely a ploy by the
laptop manufacturers to sell cheaper screens with the same 14" spec
when in fact they have less area and fewer pixels (at the same dpi).
I knew 4:3 was getting scarce at HP and Dell, but now it looks like
lenovo has also given up on them. Bummer.