[Tfug] Hardware reliability

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:32:49 MST 2009

> I haven't (yet) figured out how to put the database(s) on this
> project under version control.   :-(  I'm still trying to
> develop a good mental model of the role they play so I can
> draw parallels to how that role would *normally* be handled
> (in a more conventional implementation)

First part is deciding whether you really need a database.   There's a
kind of strange knee jerk "I have ordered persistent data! I need a
database!" reaction for any program that do minor data processing
require a full on SQL database.  But I doubt you're in that situation.

If you really need a high performance database, it's best to script a
dump of the data to an intermediate text-style format (so you can diff
it), then check that into version control.    Otherwise, see about
SQLite, storing the data in a CSV file, or a Maildir-esque file per
record setup.

- Zack