[Tfug] Hardware reliability

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 09:07:09 MST 2009

--- On Sun, 4/19/09, Zack Williams <zdwzdw at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've never had a *hardware* disk failure.
>
> You've been really lucky then - I see those on probably a
> monthly basis.

Yikes!
> Certain models of drives died on a very regular basis, such as
> IBM's Deskstar series (aka "Deathstar" :) ).   Usually it's the
> drive going into continuous thermal recalibration mode and
> clicking constantly.

Oh, I've *seen* lots of dead drives but never *experienced*
one, myself.  I attribute this to having many redundant
backups  :-/  (i.e., if you have NO backup, you can rest
assured ALL of your disks will die, etc.)

I've been tempted to pull apart some of the larger disks
I've come across just to see what has failed on the controllers
(e.g., those that don't spin up).  But, it doesn't make
sense economically -- and I've far too little "free time"
to satisfy that bit of curiosity.  :-/