[Tfug] Cable modem

arizray at comcast.net arizray at comcast.net
Wed Apr 15 17:56:31 MST 2009

Got it. Good info, Thanks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Cresawn" <jrcresawn at gmail.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:12:16 PM GMT -07:00 U.S. Mountain Time (Arizona)
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Cable modem

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM, < arizray at comcast.net > wrote:

Now I'm wondering if gigabit NIC cards would benifit the situation any??

I doubt it. I think you stated earlier that you have an 8 Mb/s cable modem service. If your two home computers each have a 100 Mb/s NIC then if you were to download data to each of the computers as fast as theoretically possible the most you could hope for would be 4 Mb/s for each computer. So 4 Mb/s is the maximum your Internet connection can handle, but internally your network gear can handle 100 Mb/s. That means your internal network is currently 12.5 times faster than your Internet connection. Upgrading to Gigabit network gear would increase internal network performance to 125 times faster than your Internet connection, but it would not change the 8 Mb/s connection speed and that's the one which affects your Internet speed.

Ryan