[Tfug] Got a text formatting/database question - the political backstory

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:40:17 MST 2009

Remember that this is a PIMA county problem, but the AZ AG's office
has hired the Maricopa county elections office to do the recount in
Phoenix.

It's the Pima County elections office that has screwed the pooch.

Incidentally (and somewhat on-topic) using...

cat VHISTORY.csv |awk -F"," {'print $2'} |grep -c 170

...I was able to confirm that the Pima Recorder's office says there
were 120,499 votes cast - fractionally under the report by the Pima
Elections office (300ish votes over for some reason).  I can't say the
difference indicates anything just yet, I'll be calling the recorder's
office tomorrow AM to see if there's any rational reason for the small
discrepancy.

I will say that to my knowledge and experience, Pima Recorder F. Ann
Rodriguez has always acted honestly and professionally.

Pima Elections director Brad Nelson has consistently acted like a
lunatic...and Nelson does NOT report to Rodriguez.  Both are involved
in elections...basically Rodriguez takes in the mail-in vote (handing
it off to Nelson for counting) and does other record-keeping, but
Nelson runs the elections.

Jim