[Tfug] Internet speed

arizray at comcast.net arizray at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 07:54:26 MST 2009

First I must say that I have two boxes which are P4's with 1 & 2 gb of memory respectively. Each is running Ubuntu 9.04 beta with no problems. My problems concerns internet speed using Comcast. I am aware of the issue with C'cast and bandwidth restrictions. One box performs better than the other when downloading distribution updates for example and I would assume there is a reason for that. If I run a speed test it can be observed that the meter hits some sort of ceiling at 4MB/s on the box I use every day. the download speed was 4.5 mb/s with a upload speed of 2.7mb/s The other box does somewhat better.

My service is 8MB/s, recently upgraded from 6MB/s, and I can see no difference in performance or the test numbers. I realize that download performance is subject to the conditions at the server one is downloading from and other factors but I sense that there might be a setting or something that is in need of checking/changing.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks