[Tfug] dynamic website help

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:34:49 MST 2009

> You're kind of reinventing the wheel.
>
> If doing it web-based is not a prerequisite, then you may want to look
> into a version control system, like subversion or git.   This can
> handle binary/proprietary file formats.
>
> If web-based is required, and the document is text based, think about
> a wiki-based system, which generally have versioning built in.

Well, this isn't a group of technically savvy people. We're working
with literature, so I'd like it if there weren't a learning curve. As
far as doing a wiki goes, we kind of have to work .doc/.odt files, so
uploads have to be a part of the equation. I was going to write the
code in such a way that we know which revision they are submitting,
and then appending a revision identifier to the file name.

It's a pretty unique problem, but assigning people parts of the
literature and then recompiling it as it comes in at different times
has kind of created the impetus for automating the process. It would
be nice if there were a web based way of tracking who was assigned
what, but for the moment I'm keeping that in the hands of an actual
person.

~ Chris