[Tfug] VNC and alternatives

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Fri Sep 26 10:34:58 MST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote:
> I want to connect from my laptop to my desktop and be able to run
> graphical programs on the desktop; like VirtualBox. One way is to
> use VNC. Are there any alternatives that you would recommend? If
> so, why do you recommend it over VNC?

I rather like VNC.  In case you haven't toyed with it, there are two
different kinds of servers - (1) tightvnc, realvnc, etc. all create a
new X session when you connect; (2) x11vnc connects to the current
desktop (unless there isn't one in which case you are hosed, I think),
also, you need to log in as the same user on your desktop and x11vnc.
I find x11vnc quite useful around the house for tweaking the server
from my laptop - since it's all behind my firewall, encryption is not
needed.  I don't leave a vnc server running - I log in over ssh and
start one - that way I can fire up x11vnc around the house, or I could
start a tightvnc session over a new ssh connection (actally haven't
had to try it, so I'm no help, but the possibility is open).

Best,
Steve