[Tfug] OT: HDTV

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Thu Sep 25 19:42:28 MST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm happy with my recent 1080p LCD front projector purchase (not from
>> Costco), but it doesn't have a tuner in it, so that won't help you.
>
> Yeah, and I was specifically asking about "LCD TV's" and the
> potential problems that *seem* inherent in that sort of design
> (e.g., all the power/HV required for the backlights)

Just presenting another option.  A lot of sets are 720p.. having1080p
is nice, and you can project to over 100" diagonally, no problem.  I
also like that I can retract the screen and put away the projector and
it's out of the living room.

>> Used the $40 coupon to buy a converter box for my 27"
>> Sony Wega CRT tv....
>
> How has *that* been?  Many of the repair forums (fora?) that
> I watch have had unkind things to say about "Wega" (not sure if
> there are specific models that are problems, etc.)

Well it's possible that there were different models.  It almost seems
like I saw an LCD set that had the Wega brand on it.. Mine is the Sony
Trinitron Wega KV-27FS12.  It's about 8 years old now.  Never have had
a single problem with it, and it has survived several moves (and
living room relocations), although I do put it back in the box when I
move it.  More info: the screen is completely flat (rather than
cylindrical or bubble shaped), so that cuts down on glare.  Has a
nifty mode to vertically compress the image for 16:9 anamorphic
movies.  Found out when I got a calibration disc that the green and
red are somewhat funky, fixed it the best I could.  Was kinda fun
tinkering in the service menu :)

Jeff