[Tfug] OT: HDTV

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:43:24 MST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:31:15PM -0700, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Yeah, and I was specifically asking about "LCD TV's" and the
> potential problems that *seem* inherent in that sort of design
> (e.g., all the power/HV required for the backlights)

Don,

TFUG (or any forum) is only going to be able to give you anecdotal
evidence.  Pick up an issue of Consumer Reports and see what they have
to say.  They do reviews of tv sets every few months and always
discuss reliability.  From their website:

	There's mounting evidence that LCD TVs have been highly
	reliable products requiring few repairs during the first three
	years of use.

	<snip>

	Consider reliability. Our user surveys have found few repair
	problems during the first three years of use for LCD sets from
	JVC, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and
	Toshiba. Dell and Hitachi LCDs have been more
	repair-prone. Olevia and Sanyo look promising, but we don't
	have sufficient data to include these brands in our charts.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/televisions/hdtv/lcd-tvs/reports/how-to-choose/index.htm

C.