[Tfug] Looking for a volunteer

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 17:45:32 MST 2008

Hi,

WorldCare is looking for someone to hack together a
bit of "attendance tracking" software.  They track
the time folks spend on the premises -- sort of like
a timeclock.

I suspect something like MSAccess would be a good
place to start as it would give them something that
others could maintain down the road -- as well as
letting them create new "reports" as needed.

I've been working on a system to computerize most
of their business (donations, inventory tracking,
etc.) and had hoped to integrate this functionality
with that.  However, their need is more immediate.
Hence, the petition, here.

Superficially, this is a simple problem... :>
But, of course, the devil is always in the details!

Here is a description Joe Alwine had proposed:

> personal code. Someone from WorldCare authorizes
> transaction. Machine enters information into database.
> Machine prints transaction for backup paper trail.

> personal code.
> Someone from WorldCare authorizes transaction. Machine
> enters information into database. Machine prints transaction
> for backup paper trail.
>
> ??? Questions. Who makes cards? Where to get cardreader?
> Can you buy cardreader for Windows? Is there something
> already written and not too expense to do this? If you
> can't do this, who can??
> What if someone forgets card? Need to be able to enter
> information.
> Just have number for each person. Key in number, machine
> reads number and enters information on screen. Worldcare
> person authorizes transaction.
>
> What do you think? Can this be done in Access or Excel???

It leaves out many of the little details, of course.
But, perhaps it is a starting point for someone interested.

I can an interested party the direction I was planning on
taking but would leave the actual design to your discretion
(I am not aware of MSAccess's capabilities or limitations
so can't comment on what is or is not possible, there -- I
was planning on a standalone kiosk implementation).  Note
that WorldCare's staff -- especially the users whose time you
will be tracking -- are not very computer savvy so you'll
probably have to be able to think this through completely.

I'm not interested in a public discussion about how to or
how NOT to do this -- though anyone wanting to take it on as
a project can elect to enlist other folks' opinions!  :>

If you've any interest, please reply OFF LIST.

Thanks!
--don