[Tfug] technical help needed with the election?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Sep 18 14:41:10 MST 2008

> So lets head this and get back to Linux

And who else but a bunch of unix (> linux) hackers do you see around
here competent to take apart a voting machine and audit the source?  I
didn't start this topic in my HAM radio forum.  I thought it would
make a fun group activity, although from a websearch, it appears
that's way more sophistication than what's needed to compromise one of
these things.  No one has even mentioned what these things run - I'm
sure it's not a custom OS, and since diebold is mostly in the business
of ATM's (and since I saw one crash to DOS) they are probably running
dos.  Anyway, it seems like a relevant topic to me, I apologize for
chastising Eric for hijacking our thread (since I didn't see anything
related to voting machines or linux in his post, but maybe I'm blind).

Steve