[Tfug] technical help needed with the election?

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Sep 18 09:52:00 MST 2008

Since we seem to be no-holds-barred on the topics, I was driving to
work this morning, thinking about my friend the committed libertarian
who actually volunteers in counting chads and the like on election
day.  I'm not trying to be paranoid, nor do I believe there is any
conspiracy, but it occurred to me that unless people like us are doing
it, there's really no way people like him can say whether an
electronic voting machine is honest or not.  Of course, if we did
uncover a conspiracy, we'd be famous ;)  So, anyone know if there are
electronic voting machines in Tucson, and if any independent committee
is prepared to download the kernels or whatever code runs on them on
election day and audit it?  I've no love of pouring over assembly
language by hand without documentation, but I'd do it for my
country...

I suppose I should get current on the state of the technology before I
form any grand plans, but it was an interesting thought experiment.

Steve