[Tfug] Suggestions on something less horrifically bloated than Amarok?

bpoag at comcast.net bpoag at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 10:15:39 MST 2008

Short and sweet --

The degree of sheet bloat and unchecked corpulence of Amarok is beyond shameful. Its painful. Circus fat lady sitting next to you in coach with a 90 pound tumor on a transatlantic flight painful. Check out the pain from ps:

root     32494  3.9  1.3 655676 53900 pts/1    Sl   16:36   0:05 amarokapp

root     32521  0.0  0.6 225720 25496 pts/1    S    16:36   0:00 amarokcollectionscanner --nocrashhandler -p -r /mnt

Now, I'm no math major, but this piece of shit requires 900MB of just to get off it's fat ass and draw a welcome screen.  Apparently, it takes Amarok 255MB just to scan a handful of ID3 tags in your MP3s, and another 655MB to actually play them…one at a time. I've got a friend at work who can't seem to break his indulgent, wasteful Amarok habit. Anybody got any suggestions on a svelt but full-featured media player that won't cause paging activity on half the machines it runs on?