[Tfug] World Oil Production figures up to the end of 2007

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 11:43:10 MST 2008

I've not seen that data, but have read that oil peaked in 2005... An
oil field (as a geologic structure) is finite and production rates
decline somewhere in the 2-4 percent. A geologist I watched related
that to viscosity of the oil that is extracted, at first it is thin
(sweet) and over time the viscosity increases (heavy and sour), thus
the rate of production is tied to the viscosity. Consequently, I take
that as all 73 Million Barrels per Day of current production are
affected by the increasing viscosity, and we have to find new oil to
make up the lost numbers.

I agree the facts seem to increasingly indicate that peak has passed.
However, we will really know for sure in a few more years. The idea of
Abiogenic petroleum and all sorts of other ideas suggest we can pull
many more Million Barrels per Day with no known problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

Abiogenic is mostly rejected but when I get into a conversation about
gas prices, oil production follows, and then I find the Abiogenic
petroleum mind virus. I think market speculation, high demand, and
possibly some price fixing can explain the price peak. I've seen
plenty of demand destruction in my own life to account for the current
price drop. If the price drops to bellow 80 dollars/barrel the economy
my start to rebuild, at least that's what I need to sale my house in
Tucson. Unfortunately, once demand puts pressure on oil production...

At one point I was thinking that efficient engines, and solar power
was needed, but now I'm not so sure. I think most people are rejecting
the problem, aided with mind viruses that they have not sufficiently
questioned. The problem as I see it is food, I think that's where we
will get blind sided. Farmers and ranchers are not making much income,
because industry methods are very energy intensive. To make a long
story short I'm thinking Permaculture is a viable method for local
food production that gets the oil out of my dinner. I should say that
I'm a slow reader and have almost finished the book "Gaia's Garden"
from Toby Hemenway, and plan to read David Holmgren's book
"Permaculture" next.