[Tfug] Cox and Port 25

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Sep 10 09:48:54 MST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:16:33AM -0700, keith smith wrote:

> To get around the port 25 blocking issue some providers have gone to an alternate port like what you found.
>
> The official Cox solution is to use their SMTP server.  That is what I have done for years.
>
> SMTP Server: smtp.west.cox.net
>
> I seem to recall you need to have an email account to use for authentication.

Cox doesn't require auth, but it does require you to be sending from
within Cox.

Another option, if you're using gmail is just use the gmail SMTP server.

I've stopped using my own "real" local SMTP server for years now and use
mstmp to smarthost my personal email via Cox and my work email via the
work machines.  Can't say I miss dealing with exim/sendmail, just for my
own stuff.  I used to use esmtp, but that doesn't deal with TLS+STARTTLS
off well (the setup I need for work).

--
Tom Rini