[Tfug] List etiquette: start a new thread!

eric christian ericdanc at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 8 23:32:17 MST 2008

> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:15:41 -0700
> From: Matt Jacob <m at mattjacob.com>
> Subject: [Tfug] List etiquette: start a new thread!
> To: TFUG <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> It seems like there's been a lot of these lately, so here's my pissy
> Monday morning rant after running out of coffee at work and being
> severely low on caffeine.
>
> If you want to reply to an existing thread or an ongoing list
> discussion, please use the "reply" feature of your MUA (mail user
> agent). If you'd like to start a new thread with a different subject
> line, please use your client's "new / write / compose" feature. It may
> seem easier to just hit reply and change the subject line there, but
> there's something going on behind the scenes that ends up being annoying
> for some of us.
>
> For you see, some of us read the list in a threaded mode where related
> messages are kept together in the same "thread". When you reply to a
> message, your client appends the In-Reply-To: header and inserts the
> message ID of the message you're replying to. My client picks up on that
> and injects your "new" post into the same thread as the message you
> replied to.

Yes, i used to use elm with slackware. MUA here now is TB
(non-threading). I'm confused on what to do because

1) TFUG email comes in digests
2) TB's quoting behavior on the Reply feature

Assume that i want to reply to an email that is in the middle of the
digest. Assume also, another email before this email has a sig. Now,  i
could use the Reply on the digest and edit the subject line. TB,
however, stops quoting at the sig because it thinks the email is at the
end. So, the email quote i want to reply on is not there.
I have been just copying the particular email in the digest and use the
Compose feature, editing the subject line to "Re: ...". What to do?

While we're at this,

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Charles R Kiss" <charles at kissbrothers.com>
> Subject: [Tfug] Mount Problems
> To: tfug at tfug.org
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:26:15 -0700
> From: "johngalt1" <johngalt1 at uswest.net>
> Subject: [Tfug] apt-get undo
The above is what i actually received. For some reasons, the text of
Charles's posts never make it here. Since this is the n-th time, i ask
why? MUA here is as said TB.
Eric