[Tfug] apt-get undo

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Sep 4 10:43:44 MST 2008

On Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:00 PM  "Claude Rubinson" wrote:
> On Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 10:05:27PM -0700, johngalt1 wrote:
> > For aptitude's purge function to work properly, you need
> > to have installed the package via aptitude.  If you install
> > via apt-get, aptitude has no way of knowing what else was
> > pulled in along the way.
>
> That's why it worked for Glen. Useful info. I needed a clue.
> Thanks everyone.

To help your current situation there is deborphan. It can help
remove unused packages, though I've never used it.

> > Aptitude has been Debian's recommended package manager for
> > a few years now and it's worth switching to.

Is that still true for 'testing'? If one's only reason for
switching to aptitude is for the ability to remove automatically
installed dependencies, does apt-get in testing do a good enough
job? I was under the impression that it was; and was planning on
switching back to apt-get in testing.

--
Glen