[Tfug] Turning off OOo auto-format?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue Sep 2 18:30:53 MST 2008

I'm running into some frustration with OpenOffice's spreadsheet
thinking that it's smarter than I am.  I've got a list of figures with
major.minor-style numbering (e.g., Figure 1.2, 1.3, etc).  The problem
is with, e.g., Figure 1.30.  OpenOffice decides "that's a number" and
then strips off the trailing zero, leaving me with "1.3".  Is there
anyway to stop this behavior?

Changing the formatting of the individual column to text is not an
option.  I'm only using OpenOffice as a means of easing data entry.
The spreadsheet is always save as plain text and, so, the next time
that I open the file, OpenOffice re-strips all of the trailing zeros.

So, I'm looking to turn off autoformatting entirely.  I'm happy to
switch to another app; KSpread appears to do the same thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Claude