[Tfug] stripping the gui in a linux distro

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 30 10:08:30 MST 2008

Assuming the OP was asking how hard is it to strip X out given an already
installed system rather than how hard is it to install without X.... (I've
installed debian from scratch without x, and it's trivial).

On my debian system, "apt-get remove x11-common" asks if it's ok to remove
348 packages that depend on X. I've not done that to see if the remains are
broken or not, but I assume it would work pretty well.

JDR