[Tfug] The Joy of OSX, and the friction coefficient of goose droppings.

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 05:40:36 MST 2008

Rich wrote:

> In my experience, FOSS tends to be packaged better for OS X than for
> Linuxes, because fewer assumptions are made about what libraries will
> be available. For example, try getting VLC going on RHEL 4 without
> upgrading it to a point where Red Hat won't support it... Whereas it
> just works on OS X 10.4. Yes, the two OSs were released within a few
> months of each other, and you pay a heck of a lot more for RHEL.
Yes, RHELL sucks, but you should try a debian-based distribution.  APT
is a whole world of difference, and probably the best packaging of FOSS
that exists.  Installing any packaged software is trivial, and the
repositories are large and broad.  A little time with Debian and you'd
change your mind.  It understands dependencies and has a good
installation solver.

I liked mac better than RH.  I *almost* like windows better than
Redhat.  YUM begins to close the gap between redhat and windows.  I just
hate messing with dll hell, library hell, R hell, etc.  I'd rather have
a system that works.  YUM almost works most of the time, for enough of
the software to make it tolerable.  It used to have far less software,
though, so you got back into the same prob I had with Mac and software
installed two or three different ways (Windows-like).

MacPorts doesn't do nearly enough.  The repos are too small and the
solver wasn't as good as Debian.  Call me spoiled.

I think that the debian/ubuntu/etc are the best consumer linux versions
and they certainly have the best package management of any operating
system I've used (Unixen, Windowses, CP/Ms and proprietary) in my life
as a computer user.

As a python and debian user, I'm as spoiled as a geek can be.

--

http://agileotter.blogspot.com/