[Tfug] cups printing woes

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 05:48:17 MST 2008

> I no longer have trouble with cups since I switched to HP;

I assume you're talking about hplip? Will this work with a non-HP printer?

> You might need to install gv and ghostscript; at one time they were needed
> packages for cups.

# pkg_info | grep ghost
ghostscript-gpl-8.62_3 GPL Postscript interpreter

gv isn't installed, but would that really have anything to do with
this problem. Like I said,
it's not that cups can't print, it's just that some apps seem are
receiving the error, as if
their jobs aren't getting to cups.

> Then I would install through the localhost:631 -that's the only way I ever
> got things to work.

Did that, and there don't seem to be any problems. Again, I also have
this printer
listed as the default, even though it's the only one.

> Sometimes the USB offers two devices, don't be tricked by the one that
> contains a "serial number" of some sort; I use the other one and I manually
> install the .ppd file also.  Make sure it's unpacked.

The only thing I get is ulpt0 and nulpt0. I guess nulpt0 is non-locking, though
I don't know what this means.

~ Chris