[Tfug] cups printing woes

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:02:46 MST 2008

First off, this is a freebsd system.

Ok, I'm at my wit's end here. I'm trying to set up cups, and although,
it will print from firefox, it will not print Adobe Reader. I haven't
tried from any other apps, but right now I just need to print some
pdfs.

The error I get is: lpr: lp: unknown printer

This link, suggests that the printer is not found in the lp database.
Which seems to make sense.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.cmds/doc/aixcmds3/lpr.htm

but I don't know how to get around this. It's interesting to note that
in kpdf, I can get things to print by choosing cups in the 'print
system' to use dialog in file --> print.

So it seems like that's where the disconnect is. I know that lp is the
default printer, and that in printcap, at least one printer should
have that as its name.

since thanks to cups, these changes aren't permanent, this isn't a
solution either. Besides, I tried editing this file anyway, but it
didn't work. I also tried using lpoptions to set the default printer,
first to lp and then to the name of the printer, but adobe reader
still gave the same message.

my guess is that the two programs are searching for printers in two
different places. The question is, how to fix it though. A solution to
this might also solve, why I can't print from openoffice and why I
can't print opera.

As a final note, I only have one printer and it is set as the default in cups.

Thanks for any help ~ Chris