[Tfug] remote desktops

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Oct 17 11:33:47 MST 2008

What is your need?  Are you wanting good smooth scrolling while you're
playing Doom 10 on a remote machine, or is this mostly for maintenance
access?  I use TightVNC (using it right now, in fact) to work on an XP box
in the Seattle area, and on occasion use Radmin to link from that machine
to another one up in Thule, Greenland.  The lag sometimes drives me crazy,
but it works.  I would not want to use this for anything needing rapid
refresh, however.

Jim

At 11:27 AM 10/17/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Are there any "good" remote desktop protocols out there?
>Or, is this a problem that can't be solved due to the
>increasing bandwidth that applications demand of the
>display station?
>
>E.g., X and LBX really only seem appropriate for largely
>static displays.  VNC even moreso.  Sun's tends to work
>"ok" but demands a really fat pipe (and a lot of horsepower
>pushing suff down that pipe).
>
>I haven't yet looked at MS's RDP (I understand it runs on
>XP Pro?).  Any observations there?
>
>THanks!
>--don

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |