[Tfug] Slightly OT: Market perspectives

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 23:49:45 MST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Afternoon everyone,
>
> I received a call this week from my boss (I work remotely from the home
> office in Ohio), and it would seem at the end of the month I am out of a
> job. Being in the game development field, if investment funding dries up, so
> does the jobs for doing that kind of stuff; particularly for independent
> companies like the one I am a part of.
>
> So I am curious about the state of the market out there. I know we have many
> people on these lists that are in the position to hire, or are very invested
> in the IT markets here in Arizona. Before I start updating my resume, and
> pounding the pavement I thought I would like an overview of what those
> people see out there due to the basic castration of the market's good will
> and faith.
>
> I did have plans to move to Ohio, but given the current circumstances, I am
> not sure sure if that is or will be a good idea. If the market here is bad,
> it will most likely be as bad there as well. Not to mention moving without a
> job is even harder.
>
> So thoughts, ideas, cries of the apocolypse perhaps?
>
> Sincerely,
> Judd Pickell
> Soon to be out of work. :)

You need to get a resume on the job sites, and let the recruiters do
the work for you. I also suggest going though the resume classes that
the unemployment people put on. I just did that about 6 months ago and
an odd thing happened, I found enough inspiration to get my resume in
shape. Once the resume is solid then make it visible in places like
monster.com and ilk, be ready for a possible feeding frenzy.

Don't rush into anything at first, use the frenzy as a wind gauge to
find out the places where jobs are, employment demand moves more than
I would have thought. Hope you find what you need.

apocalypse
1. A cosmic cataclysm in which God destroys the ruling power of evil.
2. Trolls bate.

My resume has been off for three months but I am still getting stuff
like this...