[Tfug] debian, debports and changelogs..

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Mon Oct 13 22:30:46 MST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:41:34PM -0500, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:
>   But now I'm confused by: [2]http://packages.debian.org/sid/iceweasel
>   Notice there is no changelog and the red tag [debports]. Compare to the
>   lenny version of the page. Note even more strangely, the list of files
>   at the bottom of the page which seem to indicate the version for my
>   arch (amd64) is 3.0.1, and yet my currently installed version is
>   3.0.3-2.

I can't give any advice on some of the other points, but since you have some
packages from experimental you must have experimental in your APT sources
file.

On one machine I have Debian/testing installed but wanted a few things from
unstable.  To make sure it didn't upgrade everything automatically, I added
the following file:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99testing:

//
// Prefer testing over unstable
//
APT::Default-Release "testing";

This way it will only install a package from unstable if I tell it.  Perhaps
aptitude decided to upgrade iceweasel to experimental for you?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org