[Tfug] help needed

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:25:02 MST 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 01:23:24 +0000
arizray at comcast.net wrote:

> I looked through it but as a relative newby it isn't clear. Sorry

clearly. You top-posted. Sorry, I just had to stab, but
have you tried just running adduser and taking it from
there? If it works, you might be at a starting point,
which seems like something you need because we haven't
been given much to work with.

What you're dealing with here is simple
spoiled-by-the-gui incompetence. It happens, but now
you have to learn how to deal with this. Trust me the
payoff of working through something like this far out
weighs the frustration. It doesn't seem so now, but I'm
speaking from experience.

These problems are almost always something simple, so
start digging.

One last thing. If startx gives you that error, try
this command

$ startx -- :1

ok, let me know

--